The authorized activities of a Representative Office are limited. A commercial representative office or commercial relations office may perform the following acts in the Kingdom of Cambodia:
- Contact customers for the purpose of introducing customers to its principal.
- Research commercial information and provide the information to its principal.
- Conduct market research.
- Market goods at trade fairs, and exhibit samples and goods in its office or at trade fairs.
- Purchase and keep a quantity of goods for the purpose of trade fairs.
- Rent an office and employ local staff.
- Enter into contracts with local customers on behalf of its principal.
A commercial representative office or commercial relations office may not regularly buy or sell goods, perform services, or engage in manufacturing, processing or construction.
A representative office is registered with the Ministry of Commerce, the local Sangkat where the physical office address is located and the Tax Department. The procedure for registering a Representative Office mirrors the procedure for company registration with the following differences:
- no minimum capital requirement;
- there is no Chairman or Directors or Board of Directors but rather a Chief Representative who may be of any nationality;
- registration must be renewed annually.